Are you considering filing for naturalization? Do you have questions or concerns?

KainRios Immigration, LLC can answer your questions about the naturalization application process, including:

  • How soon can I file to become a citizen?
  • What do I have to send with my naturalization application?
  • How do I show the required Continuous Residence and Physical Presence with my application?
  • What if I have had tax problems or other financial problems?
  • How will a criminal record affect my naturalization application?
  • What is the effect of a marriage or divorce on my naturalization application?
  • What is the effect of my military service on my naturalization application?
  • How long will it take for me to become a U.S. citizen?
  • How will my becoming a U.S. citizen affect my spouse or my children?
  • How should I prepare for the Naturalization interview and test?

Who qualifies for the exceptions to the English and Naturalization Exam requirements?

You may be interviewed & tested in your native language with the help of an interpreter if:

You have been a lawful permanent resident for 15 years and are at least 55 years old;

You have been a lawful permanent residence for 20 years and are at least 50 years old;

You may be interviewed in your native language & eligible to study for and take a shorter test if:

You have been a lawful permanent residence for 15 years and are at least 65 years of age.

Seek legal advice if you or a loved one may be eligible for naturalization except for a medical condition that prevents him or her from learning English or otherwise learning what is required for the naturalization test.

Your naturalization application may be denied or you may be vulnerable to lose your green card and be deported, if you do not understand how the law applies to you.

Seek legal advice before you file,

  • if you have been absent from the United States for more than 6 months;
  • if you have EVER been cited, arrested, charged, pled guilty, been on parole, received a deferred judgment in the United States or anywhere else in the world.

Could you be a U.S. Citizen? Derivative Citizenship through a Parent:

Is (or was) your parent or grandparent a U.S. Citizen?

If you think you may be a U.S. citizen because a parent or grandparent is or was a U.S. citizen, consult with KainRios Immigration, LLC. If you were born outside the United States to a U.S. citizen parent or parents, whether you are a U.S. citizen depends on the law in effect when you were born.

Derivative citizenship laws require a combination of at least one parent being a U.S. citizen when the child was born AND that parent having lived in the U.S. or its possessions for a specific period of time. In order to evaluate derivative citizenship in your case, you will need information about where your U.S. citizen parent or grandparent lived throughout the years of his or her life.

Biological or Adoptive Children born outside the United States may become citizens after birth based on their parent